VP Strategy & Business Development – The Randstad
Our client is at the core of innovation in the day-to-day management of Diabetes. People dealing with this condition have great benefit from superior accurate insulin delivery and control. Our client is providing exactly this in a discrete, simple way that leaves room for choice on how to live life ‘in your own way’.
Our client is a leading early-stage commercial company focused on the development, manufacturing and commercialisation of an insulin pump designed to help people with diabetes live life on their own terms.
Driven by belief in the power of innovative healthcare products that put people first and a desire to be meaningfully different, its main product aims to reduce the impact that diabetes can have on daily life. Utilizing Bluetooth wireless technology, it infuses colour and choice into the market, networking hybrid patch pumps and handsets into a broader family of easy-to-use products and data services to create a customer-focused, integrated diabetes support service.
With in-house software development and manufacturing, our client is setting its sights on expanding insulin pump usage by appealing to both first time and experienced insulin pump users. Last year they received CE mark and following external patient trials were launched in several countries. European commercial launch is expected later this year. Registration for the US market will start this year. Manufacturing is being scaled up in the first half of this year.
Our client is entering a new stage of development. With all big organizational functions in place, the need for strategic visionary power on the (near) future is immanent. The present and future product portfolio, although in itself already splendid, asks for embeddedness in a broader (digital-) strategy and technological partnerships. This is why our client is looking to appoint a:
VP Strategy and Business Development
Reporting into the CEO and part of the MT, the VP will own the strategic roadmap which contains the future generations of products and services including the digital offerings. This is a key role, critical for ‘future readiness’ and staying ahead of the competitors. The VP Strategy & BD ensures strengthening of the offering of the company and thus future commercial success. The opportunity is exciting: Our client is on its way creating a strong and successful global player in Diabetes care.
Our client is getting ready for the next stage. The global expansion will accelerate this year. The last two years, the company’s energy and attention has been absorbed by operational issues to be solved. Now the time has come to become more precise in the exact strategic choices for the (near) future. The huge market of Diabetes and infusion-based therapies is very dynamic, and this role serves to get a grip on the bigger picture and its commercial consequences for the company and her product portfolio. Flowing from this ‘bigger picture’, partnerships and strategic alliances are being developed to ensure the successful effort to stay ahead of the game. Furthermore, the VP secures a digital strategy and oversees execution thereof.
As member of the Management Team the VP Strategy & BD will be key in establishing and executing the strategic agenda to capitalize on commercial opportunities. In summary, you will:
- Own the strategic roadmap, which contains the future generations of our products & services range including our digital offerings. It also contains indicative timelines on deliverables and technology choices, aligned with other MT members and the board.
- Continuously map the latest technological developments and clinical updates in Diabetes and other infusion-based therapeutic areas and review how these should be addressed in our strategy. Special emphasis on digital trends in medtech & diabetes and how these create additional value.
- Seek strategic partnerships to strengthen our offering, in line with our strategic road map. For example, with CGM providers, closed loop / algorithm owners, infusion set providers, cloud-based health providers, app developers, licensees/distributers, etc. Lead contracting with these partners, due diligence activities, and coordinate execution of activities (actual work may be done in R&D team or Manufacturing).
- Seek strategic partnerships to develop the technology for other applications than Diabetes, i.e. with pharmaceutical companies. Lead contracting with these partners, due diligence activities, and oversee execution of activities company-wide (actual work will be done in R&D or Manufacturing).
- Source non-dilutive funding to subsidize technology development at national or European level and coordinate the execution of those projects.
- Manage future external advisory boards on technology (jointly with CEO, VP Commercial/VP R&D, CMO)
- Represent the company at conferences & networking events to build relationships with potential partners and investors.
- Encourage a culture of innovation, educating and leading technical and non-technical staff on the Company’s technical vision, technical matters, opportunities, and implications for customers.
- Lead development of intellectual property and scout the field for IP from others.
- Closely liaise with in-and external partners or realizing proof of concepts and prototypes.
- Master’s degree in Biomedical, mechanical, electronics, industrial engineering or equivalent
- Min 10 years of experience in Class II-III medical devices companies in either technical or strategic areas.
- Experience and a solid understanding in the field of “Connected Care”, app development combined with Internet of Things (IoT) or other software application development.
- Track record in global business development: identifying business partners, building business cases, structuring agreements, and closing deals.
- Proven experience in operating effectively and with a high degree of independence in a rapidly changing environment.
- Must have excellent English (verbal, written and presentation) communication skills, experienced in presenting for in- and external senior stakeholders.
- Skilled in leading and mentoring staff through influence rather than position power to achieve significant results.
- Strong professional ethics and integrity, sound judgment and the ability to take decisive action.
- Credible with exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Solution focused with a high level of self-motivation, drive, and tenacity. Can combine hands-on mentality with strategy and big picture thinking.
- Familiarity with Regulatory standards, working in an QMS environment.
- Leadership experience bringing new medical devices to market
- Prior experience with diabetes solutions is a plus
- Experience or training in Marketing or Finance
These are the core, organisation wide, behavioural value standards applicable to all roles irrespective of seniority:
- Putting People First
- Resourceful and Results Driven
Terms and Conditions
- The role is full-time and will be based in The Netherlands, Utrecht
- Package will be in line with the responsibility of the role and at the same time fitting with the scale-up phase
- Equity of the company is part of the package. Besides, the possibility to participate is foreseen.
How to apply
Your application should comprise a full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions, responsibilities held and relevant achievements.